Bass Boat Talk Forums

Carolina Fishing Tackle

Bass Boat of the Future?

This is a discussion on Bass Boat of the Future? within the The Watering Hole forums, part of the General Forums category; http://www.souther.org/products/images/drive_movie.wmv How about a 15 ft glass boat with a 60 Merc can be pulled with a 4cy vehicle. Is ...

Blog Entries

Default Bass Boat of the Future?

http://www.souther.org/products/images/drive_movie.wmv

How about a 15 ft glass boat with a 60 Merc can be pulled with a 4cy vehicle. Is this where the future can be?

My first true bass boat was a Pro Craft 15 foot boat. I will never buy a boat that small. The smallest I would go is 18 feet.

Blog Entries

This boat is made and sold in Japan and some places in Europe. It was designed to meet a specific marketplace. Since their vehicles tend to be smaller and are powered with smaller engines, the wanted a bass boat that fit their environment including narrow streets, limited parking, and gasoline costs far in excess of we we know today in this country.

Granted this is not something that most bass folks in the US would want in today's climate. But the future of smaller vehicles and increasing energy costs suggests that this may just be something that the casual angler fishing on the smaller bodies of water would accept as a compromise.

This would probably serve in a niche market but I believe that it has market potential..It would not take that much for a US boat builder to tool up to build a product like this. I agree however that it would most likely be a market flop for todays basser. Makes me think though that there are still thousands of folks out there that are buying smaller boats that just might take the plunge for something along these lines.

There's many a 500 to 600 acre lake here in my neck of the woods where that boat would be perfect, if it were made here!
    God is Great, Beer is Good and People are Crazy!

Default hhhmmmmm

since I work at a lake with a horse power restriction--50---this is an interesting concept--it has the bells and whistles of a big ride (recessed trolling motor/lots of storage/nice seats/dash etc)...the comments about it fitting a smaller lake...BECAUSE it is SMALLER boat should raise some eyebrows.....if you have a specific lake you want to fish,,,and fish and fish,,,then this,,,is perfect,,,,,BUT if you want to travel and expand,,,,the bells and whistles DO NOT make up the difference between a 16 ft and 19 ft ride on bigger water......

its the old saying.....'you cant always get what you want.....just make sure you get what you need")mick and keith)

It just wont sell here. there have been 15 and 16 foot bassboats available since the 70's and they just dont sell. guys want bigger Maybe in Japan and Europe where they dont have big lake tournys they may but here I wish bullet made a 24 footer.
    CharlieB
    Bullet20dc w/250XS
    Politically Correct Impaired

Bobski, How did the meeting go on Salem Lake. I saw where they may do some thing with the HP rating on the lake. I just wish they would just put a speed limit on it.

A high traffic day on most lakes around here would put that think on the bottom.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”

-Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Kennedy View Post
    http://www.souther.org/products/images/drive_movie.wmv

How about a 15 ft glass boat with a 60 Merc can be pulled with a 4cy vehicle. Is this where the future can be?
    What a waste of a jackplate and fenders.This is only our future if we continue down the economic and political path we are on today. If you fish small bodies of water...this would be fine. Presonally, there is not one lake I visit where I would want to consistantly fish out of a small boat. The lakes simply get too dangerous.

But if we allow ourselves as a nation to become japan or Europe....
    No longer republican, just conservative.

Blog Entries

I for one certainly hope that this is NOT our future. However as costs continue to rise, I suspect that the Bass Boating Community as we know it today will go through some changes. I guess today's bass boats are the Muscle Cars of the 60s and 70s. They will be with us for a while but regulation may force the beginning of a change that will start and continue with lake motor restrictions that will legislate smaller motors. Only then will the industry and the general fishing community be forced to seek more options where a 50 or 60ph motor will work. It will truly be a bad day. But similar to a post of a couple weeks ago, Many locales and states have already implemented motor restrictions.