Bass Boat Talk Forums

Shoals Sporting Goods

Charging trolling motor batteries with the outboard

This is a discussion on Charging trolling motor batteries with the outboard within the The Watering Hole forums, part of the General Forums category; I saw a post by bud in another of the forums and it just so happened I had about the ...

Default Charging trolling motor batteries with the outboard

I saw a post by bud in another of the forums and it just so happened I had about the same question due to my cranking battery dying on that same day I saw his post. I had to start my motor with the trolling motor battery because my cranking battery died then I switch the cables back over to the cranking battery to charge it back up. My question is

1. if you were fishing for a long day and your trolling motor batteries were going low would it be ok to do the opposite. Start the motor and Switch the cables to the trolling motor batteries to charge them while running? I have a 12/24 volt trolling motor, but the 12/24 swtich is at the front. The switch is a 3 way switch so it's 12 or 24 or neither with no power going to the trolling motor. (yeah it was redneck with I got it, but it works)

2. My other question is I've seen splitters at bass pro where you can connect multiple batteries to the engine wires so you can charge multiples batteries at once. I believe it only starts the motor off the one, but when charging it charges any that are connected. Does anyone have this?

I read bud's post where they talked about the ranger jumper system so no need to repost about that unless you want to.

I figured if I were to switch the cables after starting the engine as long as the switch were on 12 volts or off it would be fine. can anyone tell me any different? I wouldn't do this often, just in a matter of my trolling motor batteries going dead after a long day, but not long enough. :)

Blog Entries

There are systems out there that will charge the TM batteries when the big motor is running, I would suggest getting one of them so it is hooked up correct and you dont have to deal with wires.

Default Bass Pro Chargers

I had one of the bass pro chargers on another boat years ago. It worked great. would only charge one battery besides the main motor battery but never had a battery problem when I had it. Every time you run to another hole it would charge the troll battery. It would only charge the troll battery after the motor battery was fully charged so it would not drain either battery. Wasn't very expensive back then Like $19.99. Probably a lot more now but well worth the investment. Havn't had a need for that on my bullet or I would definitely get another one.

Default My Two Cents

about a waste of time, If you keep good batties you won't need to fool with in Proper first run trolling motor battiers and the proper CCA/MCA cranker and you won't have that problem To small and old ones are always a pain in bassStop by and see Dan the Man at Just Batteries a Board Sponsor and you won't have any more problems Sure nuff not a SA just the facts. and hell yes I carry jumper wires for over 30 years and used em once on my mess(6 1/2 Year old AC Delcos) but loaned em out many a time.

these newer optimax motors require 1000 cca min for correct operation as per merc. What I found is that the new big gps units with internal antennas draw a significant amount of current. now add another one for the front deck and live wells bilge and a downscan unit and if you dont run that outboard for hours you may not have enough juice left to crank that big motor over,
    What I did was to get a small tractor starter battery and put all my stuff on that battery and leave the starter battery alone all by itself to start the outboard, its relatively small and fit under the passenger seat storage. Pretty chap too, about 40.00. I just use the onboard charger for the trollers and the starter and a small auto charger for the tractor battery,

BTW a real bad idea to disconnect a running motor from its battery source,,,REAL BAD. the charging system if an alternator type will not have a way of regulating and take itself out The cpu may self destruct due to that massive current spike your gonna create also.
    Plus theres a real good chance that it will create a substantial spark in the bilge area and unless you have a really great and understanding insurance company that just hands out money cause you asked for it they aint paying for that boat you just blew up.
    CharlieB
    Bullet20dc w/250XS
    Politically Correct Impaired

Stop by and see Dan the Man at Just Batteries a Board Sponsor and you won't have any more problems
    I was actually wondering about this sponsor. I know he's around the NC area and I live right accross from Louisville, KY so unfortunately I don't think it would be cost effective to have an 80lb battery shipped, unless they have really cheap shipping costs. Do they?

I actually had to start the motor this weekend with the trolling motor battery and I switched the battery cables over and didn't have a problem. I was really wondering all this for a tournament situation. I've had my onboard charger crap out on me before the night before going fishing and not know it till I got out fishing, so I was wondering for a situation like that. This wouldn't be something I would do on a every fishing trip basis.

I had one of the bass pro chargers on another boat years ago. It worked great. would only charge one battery besides the main motor battery but never had a battery problem when I had it. Every time you run to another hole it would charge the troll battery. It would only charge the troll battery after the motor battery was fully charged so it would not drain either battery. Wasn't very expensive back then Like $19.99. Probably a lot more now but well worth the investment. Havn't had a need for that on my bullet or I would definitely get another one.
    I remember seeing those when I worked at bass pro in nashville. I really thought about buying one of those. I just looked it up on bass pro and they have shot up from $19.99 to over $100.00. Are you kidding me????haha

Default Come to Da Rally

and see Dan. Sure nuff the new big and small screen Birds and Lowrance draw alot of juice

As was said before, disconnecting the cables from the battery while the motor is running is a good way to fry a real expensive ECU.

This is what you need to do it the right way.
    On-Board DC Alternator Chargers :: Minn Kota Alternator Charger :: Minn Kota Motors Online Store

Pick 1, 2, or 3 bank, depending on how many trolling motor batteries you have.

WIth that said, here's my opinion. Unless you make some LONG runs, it's not worth it.

The optimax's have 60 amp alternators, but at idle the alternator isn't going to put out enough to run the engine, everything else powered on in the boat, and charge your batteries too....so you're going to have to really be running the boat to charge, not just idling. The charger listed above puts out 10 amps per bank. THat's about the same as most onboard or portable chargers like you'd use at home. How much of a difference do you think that would make if you only charged your batteries for 10-15 minutes? Now if you're making an hour-long run, sure it'll make a difference. But I rarely do that and if I do it's at the beginning and end of the day, not during the day when you need the juice.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”

-Thomas Jefferson

Default Don't even try

Good Battiers will cure your problem, NO Short Cuts available Sorry