Bass Boat Talk Forums

Shoals Sporting Goods
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fuel Efficient Outboard Motors

This is a discussion on Fuel Efficient Outboard Motors within the The Watering Hole forums, part of the General Forums category; There are obviously many many considerations to make when selecting a new motor. Among those is warranty, service , performance, ...

Blog Entries

Question Fuel Efficient Outboard Motors

There are obviously many many considerations to make when selecting a new motor. Among those is warranty, service , performance, Looks etc etc.

I have been wondering who is gonna be the outboard company that really starts to address the development of a more fuel efficient product. While researching this one finds little "current" data or information. I realize that merc guys are merc guys and yamaha guys are equally as dedicated but what about some real non emotional information.

The last thing I have read is about Honda's work related to large engines from 150 to 250hp. I believe that they have focussed this release mostly in europe and are banking on their sophisticated fuel injection know how to build a more efficient large outboard.

I don't need a new motor now but you never know. If I were to need one for sure I would want the best economy/performance product I can get. If I had to buy today it looks like I would go for a merc 150 4 stroke

Blog Entries

I've been looking at engines for my new boat this fall and I've been pretty impressed with the fuel usage number on the new Honda 250 4 stroke. My current 250 ProXS burns about 21 gallons an hour at wot. The numbers I'm hearing on the Honda are around 15 gallons an hour at wot.
    Visit my blog at www.MyBassLife.com

And my YouTube Channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/ScottMcGehee?feature=mhee

Or follow me on Twitter: @mybasslife

Blog Entries

Default A new Dawning

Scott, my research also has run across some very impressive fuel economy numbers as well. I do believe that this is just the tip of the iceberg and we will see more and more fuel economy improvements and also weight and distribution numbers improving with bass boats in general. If allison and other can get the performance they get from a lesser motor then the other boat builders can also do it. I don't know if we will see more tin boats or perhaps some carbon fiber products but the engineers will have to pay attention to the economy. Now is the time when we need to tow lighter, and have better performance from our outboards.

Default Merc's

I have a buddy that had a 250 XS Merc and now has a 250 Merc Optimax and he said his fuel milage has improved by as much as 40% running WOT and the boat is just as fast as the 250 XS Boat was. I have heard a couple other folks bragging about their Merc OptiMax motors getting really good fuel economy compared to their old motors. Have not done any research because I have no plans on trading or getting a new motor. If my Yamaha pops Iam gonna park the Bug boat in front yard and fill it with top soil and plant flowers in it because I cannot afford to have it rebuilt or buy a new one so will be a pretty flower pot.....
    PLEASE REMEMBER!!!! LIFE JACKETS AND KILL SWITCHES DO SAVE LIVES!!!!!!!

A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!!!!!!!!!

Those who pound their guns into plows will soon plow for those who don't. "Thomas Jefferson"

I carry a gun because a police officer is to heavy!!!!

When seconds count the police are only minutes away!!!!!

Allison articles from independent places has numbers that will verify they can get almost 2x the gas mileage than other boats. Blows your mind don't it? That Bass Sport 21 catches my eye hard, but still love a Phoenix. I don't need to go 90 mph....70 is good

Blog Entries

Although the Allison would be my fantasy pick for a boat, the reality is that I won't be buying anything since I am a retired guy. However, if I were able to get a new boat, I would want something for the coastal waters as well. Those darn Red Fish are really calling my name. I think that Chuck D's choice of the Ranger Intercoastal is just perfect for this part of the world but then again the Lanier Custom Boats sure look great as well. My point for this post was to elude to the fact that the times they are a changing and the company that invests into their engineering to improve performance and economy will most likely come out on top.

Fuel prices being what they are I really try to economize. I fished two days last week 4 hours each day and only used 5.5 gallons of fuel. I am sure others here are doing the same thing.

Red face Buy a Merc

The Merc 2 stroke ProXS that I'm running (my third by the way) is THE BEST of those that I have owned. It's better on fuel, uses 87 Octane, and is the most reliable of the motors I've run as my own or been around.

Had the new Yamaha SHO 4 stroke on my 2010 Phoenix and it blew at 62 hours... Not a fan for that reason, but it goes beyond that in to the $400 in fuel to "break it in" twice since gas was $3.50/gallon at the time and I had to run 89 octane. Also, you have to break it in under load (trimmed down and at high RPM's)...., and that it calls for 89 octane AND yamaha ringfree fuel additive. All of that said, it cost more to run that motor by 20% than it does my ProXS or any of my former Mercs for that matter.

Oddly enough the Yamaha F series (silver salt water series) is all that I see down here and seems to rule the roost. Too bad the SHO can't say the same but maybe in time it will???

That said, the new Merc 4 Stroke that is coming out (not the Verado) may be the deal but it's not here yet which says go with the 2 stroke for fuel and proven platform. Bottom line, go with a ProXS or....

Consider an E-Tec. At the time the e-Tec was not an option and won't be unless BRP will do a factory 5 or 6 year warranty and not an aftermarket deal which is a goat rodeo. If they do, I'd consider that as an option because at least they'll send you a dressed power head if it pops.

My $.02.....

Default Mercury Forever

My Pro XS gets 40-50% better mileage than the EFI Ethanol blew all to hell Rember the Black Motor will always get ya back Most times Ask Chuck I told him not to mess with that Rice Rocket

Default I have a Rice

I have a Rice but not a rocket. I got my boat new in 1998 and has about 2500 hours on it and been in the shop twice. Once under factory warranty for lower unit replacement and once for hard starting problem about 3 years ago which was a choke solenoid adjustment that cost me more in gas to get it to the dealer than it did in cost to get it fixed. That said I don't need to get to the fishing hole at 80 MPH any more so I have a 130 Yamaha and I get there at 50 MPH............... It's not how fast you get there but what you do once you arrive that counts.... A buddy of mine has a new 21 foot Skeeter with the 250 Four Stroke and I'm waiting to see how it does for him. He buys about every 2 to 3 years but he said the other day that will be his last new boat since he is now 72 years young but still runs across the water like a teenager in a hot rod. He said the boat gets great fuel milage compared to his 250 VMax got he just sold when he bought this one. I think there are good and bad in all motors and now with the new EPA E15 fuel approvals All the motor companies are going to have to step up their technology for that new fuel.........JMHO
    PLEASE REMEMBER!!!! LIFE JACKETS AND KILL SWITCHES DO SAVE LIVES!!!!!!!

A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!!!!!!!!!

Those who pound their guns into plows will soon plow for those who don't. "Thomas Jefferson"

I carry a gun because a police officer is to heavy!!!!

When seconds count the police are only minutes away!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Softbaitmaker View Post
    I have a Rice but not a rocket. I got my boat new in 1998 and has about 2500 hours on it and been in the shop twice. Once under factory warranty for lower unit replacement and once for hard starting problem about 3 years ago which was a choke solenoid adjustment that cost me more in gas to get it to the dealer than it did in cost to get it fixed. That said I don't need to get to the fishing hole at 80 MPH any more so I have a 130 Yamaha and I get there at 50 MPH............... It's not how fast you get there but what you do once you arrive that counts.... A buddy of mine has a new 21 foot Skeeter with the 250 Four Stroke and I'm waiting to see how it does for him. He buys about every 2 to 3 years but he said the other day that will be his last new boat since he is now 72 years young but still runs across the water like a teenager in a hot rod. He said the boat gets great fuel milage compared to his 250 VMax got he just sold when he bought this one. I think there are good and bad in all motors and now with the new EPA E15 fuel approvals All the motor companies are going to have to step up their technology for that new fuel.........JMHO

Once they go to e15, there will be a lot of older motors blowing up.
    No longer republican, just conservative.

Default Buy American

Talking Salute!

Born in the USA and run US fuel. Go Mercury!!

I thought all merc's were made in Americia, but I was wrong, 30hp and less are made in Japan, 40, 50 and 60 hp are made in China. 75 hp and above are made in Wisconson. Damn, was I dissapointed!
    God is Great, Beer is Good and People are Crazy!

Default Well its Unions

Goverment Regs and Taxes that are putting em all off shore

very good point i am looking at a new boat probably skeeter or phoenix want a dry ride dont need to run 80 mph dealer i am talking to sells yama and merc can you still order a honda even if the dealer is not a service center heard a lot of good remarks about the pro xs and i know the four strokes are becoming more popular your opinion would be appreciated

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast