Bass Boat Talk Forums

Shoals Sporting Goods
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hummingbird vs. Lowrance???

This is a discussion on Hummingbird vs. Lowrance??? within the The Watering Hole forums, part of the General Forums category; Gentlemen, I'm torn....Getting new graphs for both the helm and bow. I've got my mind made up and narrowed it ...

Default Hummingbird vs. Lowrance???

Gentlemen, I'm torn....Getting new graphs for both the helm and bow. I've got my mind made up and narrowed it down to - sonar/GPS at the helm and sonar/DI at the bow, both with 5" color screens. I looked and played with both brands today, I like the detail and sharpness in the display of the Lowrance. However, I like the menus and user friendly operation of the Hummingbird. The Lowrance's are cheaper and offering rebates, but I was told later by a local marine shop that the Lowrance customer service is all but gone. He said he's had a few customers come in needing their units repaired or replaced and Lowrance just wasn't any help what so ever, but on the other hand he had seen Hummingbird step up and handle issues with their units. Anyone care to share their opionons and experiences on either of the two? Thanks!
    "May the holes in your net never be bigger than the fish you put in it"

Blog Entries

This is one of those questions with no clear answer. For sure hummingbird's service is excellent. I too liked the ease of use with the hummingbird but liked the software on the Lowrance better. Some folks have complained about getting water in their control heads with lowrance but I don't know that for sure. If I were buying today I would buy Hummingbird only because I want to know that there is a solid service reputation to fall back on. Rangerman had a recent problem with his new birds where he could not do downscan on the trolling motor and it turned out to be a known problem without an immediate solution. I think you need to be totally sure of tranducer mounting and locations before deciding. Heck I would not know where to begin. I just am too tight to spend the money. Chuck D on this site would be a good one to hear from about this. Also check out the post in the sponsors forum from Mr. Fraizer

Default lowrance hds 8

got a hds 8 had issue with water in the screen problem with early build units problem was resolved i love the screen clarity the more i use it the better i get and i have heard of poor customer service but bthe experience was no problem they took care of my issue unit was returned when promised my experience was very good with customer service was very good cant complain and now gen 2 out from articles i read will be much clearer and faster this is just my experience anything can break but pleased how it was handled

Default Call Me it you thinking of DI on a trolling motor

Default the professor

.............If I was you...I would contact Wilson Frazier and ask an opinion....me>>??? I like ZERCOM.....

I have Lowrance but have never had to deal with there customer service. My unit war old, like 5 years.

I have however delt with Hummingbird. I had a unit that was not 2 years old and it stooped working. I sent it to hummingbird and 10 days later I got the unit back with a note that stated "unrepaired". Had to call them and asked why? There answer was we do not have the parts for the unit any more. Now don't forget the unit was not 2 years old yet. That was the last bird I ill ever buy. I an a Lowrance man now.

Blog Entries

I prefer the Lowrance units and used them from well before I was sponsored by them. They did have some problems a couple of years ago with customer support but they've worked hard on it and everything I've been told recently is that things are working smoothly. I don't have any personal experience with their customer service, since I've never had to send one of their units in for repair.

The real advantage to Lowrance over Humminbird in what you are trying to do is that you can get one structure scan and run it on two HDS units. The pricing right now on the Gen 1 HDS units is really good with the rebates and there are some deals out there now on used Gen1 units that are being traded out for Gen2.
    Visit my blog at www.MyBassLife.com

And my YouTube Channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/ScottMcGehee?feature=mhee

Or follow me on Twitter: @mybasslife

Blog Entries

The whole network capability thing is a big big deal. That probably is the single most advantage factor today. I have noticed that folks who are having some issues with their HDS units mostly because of a less than stellar installation. I think I would want an expert to perform the install and set up

Default New Electronics

I have an HDS7 on the console with downscan/sidescan. Just begining to use it. Like what I see so far. IMO, asking which unit Lowrance or Hbird is like asking Ford or Chevy.
    My advice to you is get the biggest screen you can. You won't regret it with either of these units.

Is that a bad idea???? I just figured instead of having it on the back while I'm driving, I'd put it up front for while I'm fishing....
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerman View Post

Thanks again fellas, yeah I know that's like asking if FORD or DODGE is better, but sometimes there are issues with one or the other. Glad to hear the customer service issue has been resolved.

I've got a humminbird 997 that's out-lasted 2 boats and is now mounted on the 3rd. I always had lowrance units before the imaging came out - but I've been converted. Had such great service from humminbird that I wouldn't go back. I bought a 788 last year for the bow, too.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”

-Thomas Jefferson

not sure witch one you are going with ...but you can't bet the deal BPS is running on 798 si combo $770.00 ....guys are selling used one's for around $600.00...send me im I can tell where may find good on either system .

I had Lowrance in the past. used their customer service a couple of times. One time was great (when Linda Colt was there), second time was lousy (after she had left). I understand she is back with them now, so customer service should be back as well. When I bought this Stroker I decided to give Humminbird a try. I had two units interlinked, but currently took them out and am replacing with Lowrance (just installed an HDS5 Gen2 in the dash). My biggest reason is because Lowrance is easier to customize your overlay screens- I can put the information I want on the screen. Humminbird is very limited in that aspect (certain screens have certain info on them and there is no changing/adding) and they don't seem to listen to customers requests about this issue over time. I never needed customer service from them so I can't speak to that issue. But I think there are pros and cons with each, here's my take.

Humminbird- SI/Di already in some units so you don't have to buy an additional receiver, so it's cheaper. You can interlink the units to communicate with each other. Limited amount of customizing the screen info.

Lowrance- more user friendly for me, sonar is probably a little better than the 'Bird, but for Side Scan you have to buy an additional unit for $500-$600.

I have an HD 8 and HD5 with sidescan. After researching both, Lowrance had a feature I liked...the ability to run over a spot and go back on the unit to mark.

If you are not getting sidescan, I may go with the unit I can make the best deal.
    No longer republican, just conservative.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast