Bass Boat Talk Forums

Pro Tec

Shelf Life

This is a discussion on Shelf Life within the The Watering Hole forums, part of the General Forums category; Do soft plastic baits have a "shelf life"?...

Blog Entries

Question Shelf Life

Do soft plastic baits have a "shelf life"?

I think they do. Especially Zoom. They appear to put off an oily substance after a year or so.

I have gotten to the point that I don't buy any in bulk, especially Zoom.

I don't mind buying a hundred pack of Berkley power worms, they seem to hold up for a full season without degrading at all.

Not sure about some of the 'custom' stuff. Don't know if those guys have all the additives to make the worms last forever. Course since most of them don't sell in quantity higher than 10/pk it's not a big deal.

s for Zoom I go through them like water. Never had a pack long. I do have some Charlie Worms that are 20 years old and still good. They are as plyable as when I bought them. I will say this that I do soak them in Carolina Lunker Sauce in an air tight container.

I have some old Contender worms from the early 1980's that I save for some serious fishing. I do soak them in Bang about 2 times a year as I do all my plastics. They seem to work just fine.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 203 View Post
    I think they do. Especially Zoom. They appear to put off an oily substance after a year or so.

I have gotten to the point that I don't buy any in bulk, especially Zoom.

I don't mind buying a hundred pack of Berkley power worms, they seem to hold up for a full season without degrading at all.

Not sure about some of the 'custom' stuff. Don't know if those guys have all the additives to make the worms last forever. Course since most of them don't sell in quantity higher than 10/pk it's not a big deal.
    I have some fantastic soft plastics that I got from Softbaitmaker. They are the best i have ever had. Although I am using them now most likely will have some left and hope to be use the last of them in the spring. I recently found an old tacklebox of mine that I last used about 20 years ago. In that box were a bunch of soft plastics still in the original sealed packages. Don't know if I should throw them away or keep em. Especially a few packs of culprit worms that were my favorites back then.

Default Shelf Life

I think back years ago many bait companies used some scents that would keep them a year or so but they didn't want them to last to long because most companies wanted the anglers to by more. There are some companies that vaccum seal their baits for shelf life but once you open them they don't last very long. I don't think any of the salt impregnated baits have much shelf life at all. The salt destroys them in a short period of time. I don't think Garys Senkos and other baits last very long at all before they dry out and get harder and crackle alot. I cannot speak for other custom hand pour people but I do pour in bulk for anglers and I have about 70 anglers that buy as many as 2500 each in bulk orders. When they begin ordering in bulk I will send them a 4 oz bottle of my neutral worm oil that I put in them when I ship new baits. I tell them when they are going to store my baits for any length to just add about 10 drops to each bag and make sure they marble the baits around in the bags. My baits will stay soft and supple indefinately with adding a little oil about twice a year. I hope my baits have been doing a good job for you Bud. Have no heard from you since you began fishing them.........LOL.
    PLEASE REMEMBER!!!! LIFE JACKETS AND KILL SWITCHES DO SAVE LIVES!!!!!!!

A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!!!!!!!!!

Those who pound their guns into plows will soon plow for those who don't. "Thomas Jefferson"

I carry a gun because a police officer is to heavy!!!!

When seconds count the police are only minutes away!!!!!

Blog Entries

Fishing has been very slow due to the heat and I haven't fished in a couple weeks. I have had some good success with the chunks on a jig. The red shad worms are really nice and haven't done much with them but this fall I am sure they will get a lot of use.

Blog Entries

Well, after reading the reports, I will just have to dispose of my treasures that were recently found in an old tackle box. I guess to some extent we are all pack rats and its hard to part with stuff even if we will never use it.

Default Culprit

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Kennedy View Post
    Well, after reading the reports, I will just have to dispose of my treasures that were recently found in an old tackle box. I guess to some extent we are all pack rats and its hard to part with stuff even if we will never use it.
    ou might want to check your Culprits. I think they used an oil scent that may have kept them in fairly good shape. Culprit baits was all I used till I began custom pouring all my own baits and I still have several bags of them in Black Grape, Purple Shad, Red Shad and of course Tequlia Sunrise. I just went and checked some and they seem to be about as good as when I bought them 10 + years ago.

Those who pound their guns into plows will soon plow for those who don't. "Thomas Jefferson"

Default yuppers

wellll..............ol softbait has hit it again.....glad to hear Bud likes my buddy softbaits lures...IT TOOK SOME convincing to get that rascal to come on board....he is shy ,,,,...

having owned a tackle shop...been a manufacture rep...and still working at a 'tackle station; (Salem Lake NC)...this is what I have learned from the 'best in the business'.

there is a division is this country..the big ol MS river seems to be the dividing point..ZOOM controls east of then line..with Berkley in the hunt..and Yamamoto..Gene Larew is strong in the west,,UNTIL you reach TX...where Zoom rises again...and so does Berk....then out in Ca....it is the hand pours/....really specialized stuff....in the midwest...its Berkley ...some lucky strike...and Culprite....

TO UNDERSTAND how Zoom made such a 'market impression'....one had to be there,,,,,I was,,,,,'and AS we sit around thE campfire' at the RALLY RALLY maybe ol boots and I win spin the yarn

Default V&M

Quote Originally Posted by bobski View Post
    wellll..............ol softbait has hit it again.....glad to hear Bud likes my buddy softbaits lures...IT TOOK SOME convincing to get that rascal to come on board....he is shy ,,,,...

having owned a tackle shop...been a manufacture rep...and still working at a 'tackle station; (Salem Lake NC)...this is what I have learned from the 'best in the business'.

there is a division is this country..the big ol MS river seems to be the dividing point..ZOOM controls east of then line..with Berkley in the hunt..and Yamamoto..Gene Larew is strong in the west,,UNTIL you reach TX...where Zoom rises again...and so does Berk....then out in Ca....it is the hand pours/....really specialized stuff....in the midwest...its Berkley ...some lucky strike...and Culprite....

TO UNDERSTAND how Zoom made such a 'market impression'....one had to be there,,,,,I was,,,,,'and AS we sit around thE campfire' at the RALLY RALLY maybe ol boots and I win spin the yarn
    If the partners that broke away from Zoom and opened up V&M Soft Baits they could have given Zoom a run for their money sense both companies where using the same molds to make their baits. Folks at V&M only had one problem and that was they didn't know how to handle money along with success. I did use some V&M's over the years and liked them and the Pork fat although was mostly a joke it had potential but they never knew how to make it work like it was suppose to. Another reason V&M got in trouble which I think is what caused the Partnership breakup is V&M Partner back when he was in Zoom wanted to get in Walmart and the Zoom partner didn't which was smart. Walmart has broke alot of very good companies with their forced "By Back Program." If Walmart puts your products in their stores and they don't sell in what Walmart considers a reasonable period of time the Company must buy back all unsold products. Normally the money Walmart paid to purchase the products has been long spent and then all at once Walmart demands you buy back $50,000.00 of unsold merchandise. Most small companies can't do it and they go broke. I have had three friends that has happened to so I know how it works. V&M got caught up in that and they ended up buying back about $15,000.00 and I think thta was the beginning of the end for them. With that said.............

I'm glad the chunks are working out for you BUD. Those worms will work when the conditions are right. I think some one else here on the site purchased some of my baits besides bobski. I cannot remember who but maybe they will speak up and say if they did good with them. I will take good news or bad news about how my baits worked for them...............

Blog Entries

Default Softbaitmaker Plastics

Doug, the stuff I bought just seems very special to me. The chunks and the worms especially have a look and feel that you just don't find in the off the rack stuff. Haven't tried the Lizards yet but I am planning on using the craws on a T Rig config starting this weekend. The "leg" action of the chunks is fantastic.

the worm design is very good. I really like the way the tail works and was surprised since it is just a small simple hook shape. I just have to learn how to use them in an effective manner. I am working on it.

V&M is trying to make a come back, time will tell if this will happen. I have a lot of their new stuff and they are getting the job done.
    God is Great, Beer is Good and People are Crazy!