Bass Boat Talk Forums

Taw Caw

Adjusting manual jackplate?

This is a discussion on Adjusting manual jackplate? within the General Bass Boat and Trailer Discussions forums, part of the Bass Boat and Outboard Motor Forums category; Once again I call upon the infinite wisdom of BBT forum members... . Any of you fellas messed around with ...

Question Adjusting manual jackplate?

Once again I call upon the infinite wisdom of BBT forum members... . Any of you fellas messed around with adjusting a manual jackplate? When I bought my boat it already had the JP on it, and it has some marks on there where the previous owner had appearantly decided that was the correct height. My boat is a '94 Champion 190DC w/ '89 Evinrude 150XP. I was curious about adjusting the JP up or down to get on plane faster. I know its an older, heavier hull and the motor ain't exactly all that, but do ya'll think adjusting it may improve my hole shot, and how to go about it? I read somewhere to move it about an inch at a time to find the best spot, is there any truth to that? I appreciate any advice and tips you fellas can give! Thank ya much!!!
    "May the holes in your net never be bigger than the fish you put in it"

Quote Originally Posted by 817-FIREFIGHTER View Post
    Once again I call upon the infinite wisdom of BBT forum members... . Any of you fellas messed around with adjusting a manual jackplate? When I bought my boat it already had the JP on it, and it has some marks on there where the previous owner had appearantly decided that was the correct height. My boat is a '94 Champion 190DC w/ '89 Evinrude 150XP. I was curious about adjusting the JP up or down to get on plane faster. I know its an older, heavier hull and the motor ain't exactly all that, but do ya'll think adjusting it may improve my hole shot, and how to go about it? I read somewhere to move it about an inch at a time to find the best spot, is there any truth to that? I appreciate any advice and tips you fellas can give! Thank ya much!!!
    Starting point for most Champs is 3.5" below pad. then adjust in small adjustments untill you find that sweet spot

Inch at a time is probably too much unless you are WAY off. I'd move it in 1/4" increments. Heavier hulls may be less sensitive, but faster hulls are sensitive to 1/8" moves. But I'd still say moving 1" at a time you could jump right over the sweet spot.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”

-Thomas Jefferson

Copy that, small increments. Now below the "pad" are you reffering to the top of the JP? I'm assuming to make the adjustments in lowering the motor 1/4" at a time, not raising it correct? Thanks alot fellas, really appreciate the info.

depends on water pressure. Raise that motor until water pressure drops to around 15 I think for OMC's at wide open. If it performs worse as you raise it...go the other way. Trial and error is the only way to find the sweet spot. I have to do the same to mine. Although it handles really good now... I have plenty of WP so I plan to experiment.

Mark you starting spot and each change so you know wher you was.

Roger that, thanks again men. I'm with you on that Skid. She planes out and runs good, but I'm just curious if I can get her a little more dialed in with the adjustment. However......She may just have to wait until fishin season slows down!!! The whites and hybrids are really starting to bite down here, and the bass are getting alot more active up in the shallows.

What prop are you running and what are you turning at WOT? As mentioned that hull should run best at 3.5" below pad plus or minus 1/4". I would run a 22 Raker or even better a 23 Tempest Plus so you can play with the PVS Plugs and let the prop cavitate a bit coming out of the hole.

If it's running good everywhere but holeshot getting the prop to spin up some may be your ticket.

Well sir not certain on the pitch, it came on the boat when I bought it. It is a 4 blade stainless and it has "shooter" etched in it. I'm runnin right around 5800 @ WOT. PVS plugs? you lost me on that one. The holeshot is kinda crappy even with just me in the boat and gear, it still takes about 4 -5 seconds before it starts breakin over, just about double that with two in the boat. Thanks for the info.
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    What prop are you running and what are you turning at WOT? As mentioned that hull should run best at 3.5" below pad plus or minus 1/4". I would run a 22 Raker or even better a 23 Tempest Plus so you can play with the PVS Plugs and let the prop cavitate a bit coming out of the hole.

If it's running good everywhere but holeshot getting the prop to spin up some may be your ticket.

The Shooter was OMC's shot at the Turbo which was the hot prop back then and is once again not a bad wheel. See if you can borrow a friends 23 Tempist plus (you'll need the correct OMC hub kit) or try a new 22 Raker. If you fish alot of rough water and prefer a four blade try a 22 or 23 Trophy. Your local Merc dealer may have the blue test props? The PVS Plugs I am talking about come in different sizes. They allow exhaust gases to blow over the prop ears when you are coming out of the hole to let the engine spin up a little. To much and you just sit there hitting the rev limiter, not enough and your engine bogs like I imagine it is right now. Back in the day we used to actually drill the props ourself but I don't recommend that if you are not 100% sure what you are doing. These new plastic plugs are the way to go.

Ok, I smell what your cookin now. I try not to fish alot of rough water, but I'm in Texas and seems like the dag gum wind is ALWAYS blowin. "Thanks alot Oklahoma!" I'll look into those plugs and see about a different prop. Again, thank ya much!
    The Shooter was OMC's shot at the Turbo which was the hot prop back then and is once again not a bad wheel. See if you can borrow a friends 23 Tempist plus (you'll need the correct OMC hub kit) or try a new 22 Raker. If you fish alot of rough water and prefer a four blade try a 22 or 23 Trophy. Your local Merc dealer may have the blue test props? The PVS Plugs I am talking about come in different sizes. They allow exhaust gases to blow over the prop ears when you are coming out of the hole to let the engine spin up a little. To much and you just sit there hitting the rev limiter, not enough and your engine bogs like I imagine it is right now. Back in the day we used to actually drill the props ourself but I don't recommend that if you are not 100% sure what you are doing. These new plastic plugs are the way to go.

Maybe this will help a little. After some futher recon I made a few discoveries...The Jackplate is sitting about 4 1/4" below the pad, the prop is a 23, and the plugs are a 1/4 of an inch in diameter. Does that tell ya anything?

I've never ran one of the AR Champs that deep. I'd take a scribe or better yet a sharpie and mark both sides of your plate before you move it. Come up 1/4" at a time watching the water pressure (especially in turns with that hull). Mark the plate each time you move it and make a run keeping good notes on the results. You may get her where you want it with that prop? I think if you ever find a friend with one of the other props I suggested and an afternoon to play with setup you would be surprised at the results.

Thanks n2, You wouldn't happen to have an idea of what water water pressure I should keep her at do ya?
    I've never ran one of the AR Champs that deep. I'd take a scribe or better yet a sharpie and mark both sides of your plate before you move it. Come up 1/4" at a time watching the water pressure (especially in turns with that hull). Mark the plate each time you move it and make a run keeping good notes on the results. You may get her where you want it with that prop? I think if you ever find a friend with one of the other props I suggested and an afternoon to play with setup you would be surprised at the results.

Some people will go as low as 12 PSI at WOT, I prefer 15. I also change my water pump impeller every two years or 100 hours of run time.

Ok gotcha, Thanks again bud! Well today my throttle cable went out, EXTREMELY ROUGH day on the water and all that throttle play finally got to her. So, first things first. LOL!!! Boats are so much fun!