Bass Boat Talk Forums

Shoals Sporting Goods
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bass trackers any good?

This is a discussion on Bass trackers any good? within the General Bass Boat and Trailer Discussions forums, part of the Bass Boat and Outboard Motor Forums category; I'm a Newb. Is this a decent deal? 1991 Tracker aluminum boat 25 Hp Very clean solid 1. Are Bass ...

Question Bass trackers any good?

I'm a Newb.
    Is this a decent deal?
    1991 Tracker aluminum boat 25 Hp Very clean solid

1. Are Bass Trackers OK?

2. Is aluminum OK?

3. This is a 16 foot I believe, is that too small?

I prefer the 175 team at 17 feet.
    Also prefer Yamaha over Merc.
    I'm just starting to do some research.
    I'll keep searching threads reading up etc.
    This just seems like a good starter boat?

Thanks.
    for any tips

Richard

Is this going to be your primary boat?

If so what kinda water are we talking about? Major rivers/resevoirs or smaller (under 5k acres) lakes and rivers/streams?

The 16 Tournament XT will be "marginal/acceptable" with a 25hp. I think you'd be happier with a 40hp on that size rig if you're wanting to fish tournaments and/or tournaments on big lakes. The 175 XT I'd want at least a minimum of 50hp with preferably a 60-75hp were it my primary boat. The 25s were value leaders sold strictly for price. You'll be doing good to break 25mph with a fully loaded 16 with only a 25 pushing it.

I'm currently looking for an aluminum rig myself and obviously Bass Trackers are available 10-1 over anything else because they have been the best sellers for the last 3 decades. (It was Johnny Morris who pioneered the package deals on a national level and it began with the BTs back in the late 70s.) But I'm buying this strictly as a secondary/small water rig to carry my boys in. The 16 is what I'm most interested in and if I get a 16XT I'll refuse any smaller than a 35-40hp.

I see smaller aluminum rigs (14-17ft) on KY Lake/Pickwick all the time but that doesn't mean they are enjoying the ride when the wind kicks up or the traffic is heavy. But realistically those guys aren't running the lakes end to end, they put in a specific ramp and typically stay within 10-15 miles tops of the ramp. We're talking about 25-30mph boats so running much further wastes alot of time and you probably could've been time and money ahead to put in at another ramp in such situations.

Quality wise, well they are built for MASS PRODUCTION and they spit them out as fast as they can. So obviously there are better aluminum rigs out there. But like ANY boat, buying used mainly means the condition and maintenance with which the boat was kept up with by previous owners. Pay attention to rivets (they'll leak as they age) and thoroughly check the decks and floors for rot. The older ones are notorious for leaking rivets which then waterlogged the foam under the flooring and decks which makes them MUCH heavier over time.

You can buy fully welded, all aluminum boats but you'll certainly pay more for them.
    RA

08 Allison XB21 2+2, 08 225 SportXS, 27" H-motive Quad IV XOB, Hbird 1197Si & 997Si, 87.9gps, solo fishin.
    http://www.hydromotive.com/

Sweet.

Great information. Thanks a bunch.

Yeh I like the 17-19 range with a larger motor like a 50-90.
    Maybe Pro Team 175 TXW at 17' 7" with 60hp (CA legal)
    Maybe find one used for $6-8K?

I didnt know they were riveted not welded very interesting!!!

Most of the lakes around here are very small.

Sounds like a Bass Tracker might be an OK first fresh water boat. Maybe later models.

Is sthere a magic build date when they fixed the leaking rivet issue? Like 2000 or something?
    hmmm latest spec sheet sayas one piece all welded hull?

Would love a Skeeter, Triton, Stratos, Ranger, etc but I'm pretty budget minded at this time.

Thanks,
    Richard
    Last edited by Delphin25; 05-24-2010 at 11:24 PM.

I have an 02 Pro Team 175 with a 75 hp merc. It has held up very well on the rough waters of Ky Lake here in W. TN., runs about 42 mph fully loaded, it is an all welded hull and has given me good service. My wife bought it for me as a suprise birthday gift two months after we got married in 02, so I will never get rid of it. There may be better aluminum boats out there but they are much more expensive.
    God is Great, Beer is Good and People are Crazy!

Sweet, nice deal ,I got maried in 02 also
    I like the G3 boats too with yamaha

G3 is a very good well built boat and you can't beat a Yamahammer. I hope to have a new Skeetter with a Yamaha 250 SHO in the very near future. Thanks to Amsoil this is going to be possible sooner than I expected. You can't go wrong with the G3, just a little pricey but worth it.

Sweet thanks guys.
    I can see how a nice Bass boat can be adictive.
    Why is it I always go online to get info on shooting, hunting of fishing and always get the best answers from Tennesse or somwhere in the south. LOL
    Thanks
    Last edited by Delphin25; 05-25-2010 at 01:10 AM.

I-40 will bring you out here, get on it, head east and enjoy the ride! By the way,

The TV-18 is one sweet ride. The traditional styles are good for small lakes and skinny water, but they beat ya to death in a chop.

Up until the past couple of years those small Merc powerheads were made by Yamaha. I had an old 25 Mariner that said ching chang chow when ever you looked under the cowl. GREAT little motor. I'd take one of those over the newer Chinese little Mercs.

Like the others have said it really depends on what you plan on doing with the boat, what you expect out of it. My first boat was a 14' Fisher Marine tiller steer tin rig, my bilge pump was get her running and pull the plug while it sucked the water out between spots.

I was damn proud to have that boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Delphin25 View Post
    Why is it I always go online to get info on shooting, hunting of fishing and always get the best answers from Tennesse or somwhere in the south. LOL
    Thanks
    I been sayin it for years, specially when my yank and western buds come to visit. WE SOUTHERNERS ARE JUST ALWAYS RIGHT!!!

Slowly the world is comin roun to finally realizn it!!!
    RA

08 Allison XB21 2+2, 08 225 SportXS, 27" H-motive Quad IV XOB, Hbird 1197Si & 997Si, 87.9gps, solo fishin.
    http://www.hydromotive.com/

Im sure youve all seen it before, but I bet you guys know where I can get a good deal on a used one of these. LOL

redneckbassboat.jpg

Anyway, I expanded my search around South West and found some more good deals out hear.
    Still most of the lakes I shore fish here are small.
    Yeh like n2ratfishin said... I was proud of my old 14 foot Achilles inflatable dive rig with 30hp Merc. Lots of great dives from her. some good spear fishin too. Its been nothing but fresh water shore fishing for me the last 5 years, lookin to step up.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Delphin25; 05-26-2010 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Delphin25 View Post
    Im sure youve seen it before, but I bet you guys no where I can get a good deal on a used one of these. LOL

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RedneckBassBoat.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	647

Anyway, expanded my search around South west and found some more good deal out hear.
    Is that the original Ally. I think RA had one of those!

Quote Originally Posted by amsoildealer View Post
    Is that the original Ally. I think RA had one of those!
    yeh think I'd use Redline full synthetic gear oil and Mobil1 15-50 in it, not quite worthy of AMSOIL. LOL

I am still fishing from a 1984 Bass Tracker that doesn't leak a drop. The type of boat you are talking about would be a perfectly fine boat to learn on. It will teach you what you want and don't want when you upgrade in the future.

Think about what we had to fish out of before about 1970. That Bass Tracker would have been the tomcat's whole outfit in 1969 and we caught fish back then too.

If you watch videos of some of the guys that regularly catch huge bass in the San Diego area you will see that several of them are fishing out of small jon boats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast