Bass Boat Talk Forums

Pro Tec

Boat Leak - 1994 Tracker

This is a discussion on Boat Leak - 1994 Tracker within the General Bass Boat and Trailer Discussions forums, part of the Bass Boat and Outboard Motor Forums category; Ok guys. I need some help. Last March I bought a 1994 Tracker Tournament Pro 18 bass boat and fish ...

Default Boat Leak - 1994 Tracker

Ok guys. I need some help. Last March I bought a 1994 Tracker Tournament Pro 18 bass boat and fish on it like crazy here in Charlotte. The only addition/change i've done to the boat is add a Humminbird depth finder on the stern. I caulked over the two mounting bracket screws at the back and am still having a leak that shows up in the drains on the floor of the belly of the boat, then eventually gets so full it spills out onto the floor. I didn't have this leak before winter and I have definitely, possitively NOT hit anything with the boat period that would make a hole. I also must say that I have to store the boat outside due to the fact that I don't have garage to keep it in. Did something freeze and crack??? Is it a rivet issue?? Any ideas would be a huge help as this is the first boat I've had to leak on me and am not sure what the best mode of operation would be to get this leak fixed quick. Please, please help me out fellas.
    So I'm not sure what YOUR Heaven looks like.....but in mine its always that perfect time of morning when the sun is barely creeping over the trees, the water is calm and warm, there's a never-ending supply of hotdogs and Mountain Dew in the boat and not a jet skier in sight.

Ok
    So you need to check a bunch of things....
    - Pull the boat out on the trailer with a good load of water on board, pull over, wait and watch.... see if you can see a cosistant leak of water coming out of the hull, fittings etc. This may take a while but it is a good test.

- With no water in the hull and the boat on the trailer fill the livewells and see if over time you notice water leaking into the hull.

- With the boat in the water check all the plumbing like livewell pumps, bildge pumps, look at the drain plug etc. try to see where the water is leaking in...

Blog Entries

Hard to help you with out seeing the boat, but rivits are famous for coming loose and leaking. Should not be a hard fix either way but your going to have to find out where the leak is coming from to start with.

Sorry I am not much help with out seeing what your dealing with.

Default Thanks

Thanks guys for the ideas. Here's the deal, I've pulled it out twice during recent trips and left the plug in on the incline of the ramp looking for water coming out of the boat. Its just hard to tell with all the water running off of the trailer itself to find where the "leak" water is. I haven't filled up the livewells out here on the carport yet, that's an idea i can try tomorrow afternoon. Now, how do aerator/livewell pumps work? I mean, my livewell is a "pump in" system, not a "flip a switch and water flows in at its own pace" system. I have a "level" pipe that i put in the hole on the bottom of the livewell and fill it up to a level I like using the manual livewell switch, once it gets to that level, i turn it off, pumping it every once in a while to keep the bass alive and the excess runs out the top of the pipe back into the lake. Are those systems known for little incidents? What keeps the water from just coming on in the boat from that livewell intake port in the stern that is WAY down there on the transom?? Gimme some info guys, new to this "fix it yourself" deal cause it ain't never happened to me before. Thanks in advance.
    So I'm not sure what YOUR Heaven looks like.....but in mine its always that perfect time of morning when the sun is barely creeping over the trees, the water is calm and warm, there's a never-ending supply of hotdogs and Mountain Dew in the boat and not a jet skier in sight.

If it were mine.

I would find a level spot and fill the livewells. Look for leaks around the very top once it's all the way full.

If no leaks are there level the trailer and plug the boat. Make sure it's hooked to the truck OR chocked REAL good! now stick the hose in the boat and let it fill. Look for leaks around your through hull fittings in back first. If none there get under the boat and look for cracks or leaking riviets. Take a grease pencil with you. unless the leak is under a bunk you should find it this way. It takes a while to fill one with a several inches with a hose but it normally works.

Make sure you empty your lockers before putting the water in the boat because water may seep into them.

Don't panic it may be something as simple as a cracked pump housing.

Default livewell method

probably going to try this tomorrow, time permitting. got a ton of crap in the locker so i'll need to get it all outta there. i'll hook it to the truck, that way it'll be level AND secure. its got me freaking out guys, i hope its not a big issue. there are rivets ALL OVER THIS THING! i'll update after doing the livewell method tomorrow with findings. i'll try to post some pics too if i can get some decent ones. thanks again guys.

Default hmmm....

well i plugged the boat up and put water in the belly of the boat and it didn't come out anywhere at all near the back of the boat, or anywhere for that matter. I'm wondering if its my aerator/livewell pump. It is not working right now (another issue i have to tackle before tourney season) and I'm worried its allowing water to just flow into that port in the stern???? Anyway, Saturday I'm going back out on the lake and I'm going to plug that hole in the back since i won't need the livewell as i'm just going to be fun fishing. If water STILL comes in the boat, i'll know its not that. Just gonna continue eliminating possible spots until i find it. Thanks again guys.

Did the leak appear after the first good hard freeze this year? If so, my money's on a fitting or the LW pump or some other part of the LW system that holds water even after you drain the boat at the ramp.

Rivets leak, in general. I had a 2000 Tracker that leaked about a half-gallon in 8 hours. Never found the leak. It just did it, and that was what the bilge pump was for. If your leak is no more than that, and it does not get worse, then forget about it if you can't find an immediate cause. Fixing rivet leaks in the later model trackers, like mine, is essentially impossible. You can smear junk on the outside, but it will come off soon. You can't put an anvil behind the rivet, cause it's burried in the foam and flotation junk.

Default update

i took the boat down to mt island lake for an hour or two just to see if it would leak with just me in it instead of having another fella on the back of the boat like i've had the last 2 times. It didn't leak NEARLY as bad and it appeared to only happen when I went to the back to check the bilge compartment. still not sure where the water is coming in at due to the fact that the gas tank blocks basically everything in that back hatch so you can't see a damn thing. kinda tough to even get your hand back in there to check fittings/hose clamps. so i guess i'm going to have to pick a day when it's not going to freeze and flood that entire back compartment with the plug in and watch for water on the outside. may be the only solution. i've got a tournament trail coming up in february so i can't just let it go if i'm going to have other guys in the boat with me.

Default Thanks so much guys

well, i kinda feel silly having to write this comment but I brought my father in law over to look over the boat and try to figure out the next step for finding the leak, wouldn't you know it he looked around the sides of the hull on the exterior of the boat and found 2 rivets that had their tops popped off. I hadn't even looked around the sides, like a moron. Needless to say those holes have been filled, thoroughly, and are now setting up. I'm going to be heading to the lake tomorrow to check out the new developments. excited and relieved to have found the problem, but worried at the fact that it could happen again. the rivets in question are located directly where the runner on the trailer sits and possibly is caused from coming in to the trailer at a bad anlge to line it up for loading. i'll try to keep an eye on the rest of them as time goes by. just glad to have the problem found and solved. thanks for all the quick help and support. it feels good to be able to have this site as a resource for all my boat questions. thanks again guys.

Dave