Bass Boat Talk Forums

Carolina Fishing Tackle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

f-150 ecoboost

This is a discussion on f-150 ecoboost within the General Bass Boat and Trailer Discussions forums, part of the Bass Boat and Outboard Motor Forums category; looking at tradeing trucks the hp and tourqe rateings look better for the ecoboost than the 5.0 just wondering if ...

Default f-150 ecoboost

looking at tradeing trucks the hp and tourqe rateings look better for the ecoboost than the 5.0 just wondering if anyone had one and how it done towing your boat

I've got a co-worker who just bought one. He compared the HP/TQ to that of a decent V8, however he said the MPG wasn't much better than one either. I thought the whole point of the ecoboost was to get better MPG than a V8???
    "May the holes in your net never be bigger than the fish you put in it"

I'm seriously considering one of these since my Dodge was totalled earlier this month. I like the idea and the torque curve looks very impressive. But as the old saying goes, there's no replacement for displacement........
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”

-Thomas Jefferson

All this "eco boost" crap is to meet another round of CAFE standards.

Nothing replaces good ole fashioned power and displacement of a V8.
    No longer republican, just conservative.

I don't know about CAFE standards...but my brother back home just bought an F150 with the ecoboost...he say's that it pulls about as good as the GMC 2500 HD that he traded in and milage is much better. Could depend upon how it is driven though.
    God is Great, Beer is Good and People are Crazy!

I think time needs to pass to see how these motors hold up. In the past, the turbo motors I had and friends had all gave trouble. The Trans Am I had with the turbo imploded on my way home from Ft. Myer VA. That was in 1983 and I have not had a turbo since.

My 09 Silverado with the 5.3, 3.42 gears, 2wd, g80 rear, quad cab with tonneau cover.....gets 22 hwy when I behave at speed limit. Best I have gotten pulling the boat is right at 17...all hwy tho.

The 5.3 is been around for many yrs...only thing worries me about this is the part it goes from 8 cyl to 4 cyl when it wants. I still am not easy with that.

Quote Originally Posted by SkidMark View Post

The 5.3 is been around for many yrs...only thing worries me about this is the part it goes from 8 cyl to 4 cyl when it wants. I still am not easy with that.
    There's plenty of programmers out there that will disable that and it'll run on all 8 all the time.

My last Dodge had the same feature. It was completely invisible to the driver. Personally, I'd leave it alone. My BullyDog did show me that the truck computer had disabled the feature that allows it to drop to 4 cylinders though. The reason........the oil was too thick. Yep, I put 10W30 in it and the computer detected that it was thicker than the 5W20 the manual calls for, so it wouldn't let it drop for 8 to 4 cylinders.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”

-Thomas Jefferson

Your local LIDAR jammer Won Hunglo's Avatar

Ford guys love them. GM guys hate them. I have not driven one yet to form an opinion but smaller engines with turbos are the future if we want full size trucks around. The blessed one in the white house wants MPG that the big V8s can't deliver.

Neal finally drove an V6 Ecoboost and was impressed. Said it had twin turbos at only about 11#s of boost and had alot of downstairs power. I guess they have the turbos "on" from pretty much idle. I guess that's the advantage of twins, you can somewhat overcome the traditional lag time associated with singles.

BUT I just can't bring myself to get on board lil V6 gas motors in full size trucks. Why is the rest of the world run on diesel yet we have a freakin hangup about them here? A turbo diesel the size of the Ecoboost would be a HOSS and move mountains, easily get into the mid20s+ mpg and would last essentially forever!

The gatdamn FEDs and EPA have GOT to be gotten under control and soon! But realistically if all of the sudden 25% of the full size pickup/SUV market were buying diesel the price would probably go up an easy .50c-$1 a gallon!

DAMN how much better off we'd be now if Nixon had've taken over the Saudi Arabian oil fields as a matter of national security like he considered in 1973!
    RA

08 Allison XB21 2+2, 08 225 SportXS, 27" H-motive Quad IV XOB, Hbird 1197Si & 997Si, 87.9gps, solo fishin.
    http://www.hydromotive.com/

last turbo'd motor I had (81 Trans Am) came apart on I-95 about 130 mph That motor was a turd for sure. The next turd I had was the 1997 F150 with the 4.2 V6. I learned a lesson finally.....there is NO subsitute for cubic inches in a motor...unless it is a diesel.

You are totally correct. Offer a small diesel without all the BS EPA regs on em....watch the mpg skyrocket, the longevity unreal, and power.....more than anyone would need to pull a boat/rv.

Until then....drill baby drill here in the US....build refineries....piss on the foreign oil as we do NOT need it if we just be smart....for once in 60 yrs.

My old tractor trailer ( I know...designed for it) had a 430 hp Detroit in it. I could legally pull 80K lbs up a mountain and overall I averaged 7 mpg.

That same 12.7 Detroit Motor, upgraded to 500 horses, was in the Hets we had in Iraq. A Het is unreal heavy duty tractor trailer that was designed to haul M-1 tanks. The Het empty was about 118,000 lbs. The M-1 tanks, fully loaded with ammo, crew and a minesweeper attachment came in at 85 TONS.

These Hets would pull these unreal loads, in combat function and STILL get 4 mpg.

Now....why did I say all this?? Take a small diesel, put in a car...get plenty of power and get over 40 mpg. Take a little larger than the car diesel and put into a 1500 series truck and tow the crap outta boats, RV's, etc and I bet you still get over 20 mpg. All with a life expectancy of 500K miles easy. HELLO???

VW Jetta has a diesel version, gets 53 mpg and runs like a bat outa hell.
    God is Great, Beer is Good and People are Crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by SkidMark View Post
    I learned a lesson finally.....there is NO subsitute for cubic inches in a motor...unless it is a diesel.
    Exactly why, when it came time to sign on the dotted line, I went with another Dodge with a hemi in it.......

May my old truck rest in peace

This will be my 3rd Ram with a hemi in it. Ram #6 if you count the previous generations of Rams that I had, 2 with the 360, 1 with a 318. Gotta stick with what I know works.

-Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by amsoildealer View Post
    VW Jetta has a diesel version, gets 53 mpg and runs like a bat outa hell.
    No real word test has shown 53 MPG nor no one I know with one. Maybe if you are a hyper miler? Mid to high 30's are more the norm.

What's ashamed is Mercedes just put a 3.0l diesel in the 2012 ML350 with 455 ft lbs of torque and 25 mpg real world mpg not towing for about the same price of a loaded Tahoe.

I agree the small turbos are here to stay thanks to the EPA be it diesel or gas like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    No real word test has shown 53 MPG nor no one I know with one. Maybe if you are a hyper miler? Mid to high 30's are more the norm.

What's ashamed is Mercedes just put a 3.0l diesel in the 2012 ML350 with 455 ft lbs of torque and 25 mpg real world mpg not towing for about the same price of a loaded Tahoe.

I agree the small turbos are here to stay thanks to the EPA be it diesel or gas like it or not.
    The wife and I had a '05 New Beetle with the 1.9 TD 5 speed and every time I checked it , it was 45-48 MPG. That was mixed everyday driving. My daughter had an 03 N-Beetle with the 1.8 turbo gas and it was about halve the MPG (20-25) but would run circles around out '05 TD.
    http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae169/transamz9/th_tasiggy2.jpg?t=1299463255

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast